Agency Header


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Am I eligible for the Accelerated Cadet Program? 

A. If you are currently a certified police officer and have graduated from a West Virginia State Police Academy Basic Training Program, you may be eligible for the ACP.  If the applicant has a law enforcement certification, you are encouraged to participate in the process, as re-certifications and out of state certifications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The certification must be prior to July 1, 2018.  If you tested in this process previously, and did not pass Phase 1, you are still eligible.  If you left the process beyond that point, or were excluded, please contact the Personnel Section to determine eligibility.

Q. What is the starting salary?
A. After training, $41,258 annually. There is an annual salary increase of $500 on the members anniversary. Additional income opportunities are available, such overtime, subsistence, grant overtime and contract shifts. The member will be provided uniforms and duty equipment by the agency.
Q. Are members of the ACP allowed to work grant or contract details, while on probation? 

A. Yes, however, this will depend on the experience and progression of the member during the probation period.  

Q. What is the maximum age and still be eligible? 

A. State law requires the applicant not to be older than 39 upon enlistment. 

Q. How long is the Accelerated Cadet Program? 

A. Ten (10) weeks. The regular Cadet program is 25. 

Q. How long is the probation period? 

A. Eighteen (18) months from the time of enlistment. 

Q. If I am currently in a specialty position (e.g. K-9 handler), will I be able to apply for the same specialty with the West Virginia State Police?
A. After three years of service, you can apply for a specialty position.

Q. What is your policy on tattoos and piercings? 

A. Members are not permitted to have any tattoos that are visible while standing at attention in a Class A summer uniform. Body modification to any area of the body that is visible while in any authorized uniform or approved attire is prohibited. The use of gold, platinum or other dental veneers or caps for purposes of ornamentation is prohibited. Teeth, whether natural, capped or veneer, shall not be ornamented with designs, jewels, initials, etc. Body piercing jewelry not concealed by any authorized uniform or approved attire is prohibited. There is policy on the grooming standards and the wearing of earrings.  

Q. What is your policy on assignments after graduation? 

A. There is no specific policy; however, the ACP graduates will have the opportunity to be assigned within the commuting policy as stated on WVSP Form 24. 

Q. What types of law enforcement certifications will be accepted for the Accelerated Cadet Program? 

A. Applicants will have to had graduated from the West Virginia State Police academy and be currently certified. If the applicant has any other type of law enforcement certification or attended re-certification training, those will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility for the accelerated class. The review will occur after the background phase.  If the law enforcement certification does not meet the parameters for the Accelerated Cadet program, the applicant could still apply for the next traditional cadet class, which no date has been determined.  

Q. Does my retirement plan and years of service transfer? 

A. No. West Virginia State Police Plan B retirement system is a separate plan. 

Q. Will all testing occur at the academy? 

A.  No.  Due to the quick turn around, applicants will be required to travel to Greensboro, N.C for Psychological Review. 


The State of West Virginia offers a wide range of benefits to all of its employees. Health and life insurance are available through the Public Employees Insurance Agency (PEIA), including the option to join a managed care health plan. A $10,000 decreasing term-life insurance policy is offered to all State of West Virginia employees at no cost to employees. The employee who elects additional decreasing term-life insurance ranging from $5,000 to $500,000 may be purchased at a very low premium.  

For specific information on Benefits offered by the State:  

During enrollment periods, uniformed members may also participate in a state-sponsored flexible benefits program which includes dental and vision coverage, medical expense spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, short and long-term disability income protection, Group Legal plan and EPIC Hearing. The cost of these programs is paid by the policyholder which enrolled in the benefits. Other insurance programs are sponsored directly by the State Police and are available at reasonable costs. One of the most popular programs is long-term disability insurance through Standard Life Insurance Company. This program provides income protection for both duty and non-duty disabilities. As provided by state law, each uniformed member also has additional $5,000 life insurance policy through Standard life Insurance Company which is paid 100% by the state. Accidental death and dismemberment (double indemnity) coverage on this policy is available on pennies on a dollar. 


Members of Plan B contribute 12% of their base salary into the retirement plan. The employer contributes 14% of base salary into the plan. Members of this retirement system are not covered by Social Security or Workers' Compensation. 
Regular Retirement: A member must be 50 years of age with 25 or more years of credited service (excluding Military Service) or age 52 with 20 or more years of credited service (excluding Military Service).  

Early Retirement: A member who is less than 52 years of age qualifies for a reduced benefit as long as he or she has 20 or more years of credited service (excluding Military Service). 

Deferred Retirement: A member who has 10 years of service, who elects to leave his or her contributions on deposit with the retirement system, is eligible for deferred retirement benefits beginning at age 62. The annuity shall be payable to the retiree during his or her lifetime in the form of a regular retirement annuity or the retiring member may choose an annuity in an actuarially adjusted amount payable during the retiree's lifetime, with one half of the adjusted monthly amount paid to his or her surviving spouse for the spouse's remaining lifetime after the death of the retiree.  

There are no regular, early or deferred retirement benefits available for a member with less than 10 years of service. 

Reinstatement Of Previously Withdrawn Service 

Any employee who is rehired as an employee of the agency may purchase previously withdrawn service, provided that they redeposit the withdrawn funds plus 7.5% interest per annum from the date of withdrawal to the date of redeposit. The repayment must be made by lump sum payment. 

Military Service 

Any member of this retirement system who completes 20 years of service with the agency is entitled to apply for up to 5 years of military service credit for active duty in the armed forces of the United States prior to employment with the agency. No contributions are required to receive credit for this service. Any employee of the retirement system who is called to active duty in the armed forces of the United States during employment with the agency and returns to employment within 90 days following discharge may be eligible to purchase up to 5 years of additional military service credit for such duty. Military service credited under this plan may not be credited under any other retirement system administered by the Board. 

RETIREMENT SYSTEM West Virginia State Troopers - Plan B 

For specific information on retirement benefits go to 

Q. What will the testing process consist of? 

A. Phase I – Physical fitness test, written exam, suitability test with PHQ. The physical fitness standards have changed to 18 push-ups in one minute, 28 sit-ups in one minute and 1 ½ mile run in 14:36 or less for entry level.   

Phase II – Interview board and Troop level interview
Phase III- Background investigation with polygraph
Phase IV- Medical examination
Phase V – Psychological interview 

Q. I have previously submitted an application and I qualify for the ACP, do I have to submit an updated application? 

A. No, if you need to update your address or employment, etc., you need to send an email with your name and last 4 of your social security number along with updates and we will attach it to original application on file.